Shona Gilbert is the founder and owner of Heritage Manual Therapy, a provider of Active Release Technique®, systemic, and neuroscience-based approaches to practical posture care and injury recovery. Centered in the beautiful historic neighborhood of Heritage near the University of Texas. She proudly serves the extended Austin community.
Shona was born and raised in Sonoma County California. She has a deep appreciation for athleticism and brings over 30 years’ experience in movement. Her passion for healthy living and cultivating an active lifestyle has expanded her personally and professionally with coaching experience in New York City, Connecticut, Dallas, and Austin. With a background in gymnastics, dance, water, and endurance sports, Shona has gained a deep understanding of the body in motion.
The improvements she has helped make in the quality of life and longevity of movement for her clients are Shona's proudest professional achievements since her former career as a jewelry designer. Shona would have likely stayed in the arts, but the universe had a different plan for her. In March of 2016 she was faced with a life threatening injury to her spinal cord at the cervical levels of five through seven. She only survived by decompression surgery resulting in an anterior fusion and discectomy. This led Shona to devote her life and career to understanding the complexities of soft-tissues, anatomical structures, and neurological phenomena. She applies that deep understanding of the body to help others overcome injury and maximize performance.
Active Release Technique® a.k.a. ART® – Member of the Elite Provider Network
· Full Body
· Spine Level 1 and Level 2,
· Long Track Nerve Entrapments
· Upper Extremity Level 1 and Level 2,
· Lower Extremity Level 1
Posture Restoration Institute, PRI®
· Postural Respiration, An Integrated Approach to Treatment of Patterned Thoraco-Abdominal Pathomechanics
· Pelvis Restoration, An Integrated Approach to Treatment of Patterned Pubo-Sacral Pathomechanics
· Myokinematic Restoration, An Integrated Approach to Treatment of Patterned Lumbo-Pelvic-Femoral Pathomechanics
ZHealth Performance Solutions, a brain based company specifically targeting study and practice in applied neurology for movement science.
· Essentials in Elite Performance
· R-Phase, and a current student in I-Phase for therapeutics and pain management
Anatomy Trains® Structural Integration
· Structural Strategies
National Academy of Sports Medicine, NCCA
· Certified Personal Trainer
· Corrective Exercise Specialist
Ashtanga Yoga Teacher – E-CYT, Yoga Alliance
Licensed Manual Therapist, Elite Provider for Active Release Technique® Full Body. PRI, ATSI Structural Balancing, ZHealth, Applied Neurology, NASM - Certified Personal Trainer and Corrective Exercise, Graston Technique Therapy®, Yoga Alliance Teacher